Certified ISO 27 001 Lead Auditor, lecturer at postgraduate Compliance Programme at the Warsaw School of Economics.
Financial Services Regulatory, IT, Cybersecurity, Compliance
Banking Law, Payment Services, Anti-Money Laundering, Corporate Governance, Personal Data Protection, New Technologies, Cloud Computing, Outsourcing, Regulatory Proceedings (licensing, controls)
Michał leads the financial sector team at Gawroński & Partners and co-leads (with Maciej Gawroński) the technology practice. Michał is an expert in advising financial institutions. Michał started his career working for the largest banks in Poland, both in the legal and risk areas. He then moved to legal advisory services, working for leading Polish law firms.
Michał advises financial institutions on all aspects of their activities, including AML, payment services, banking regulations, corporate governance, relations with the regulator, and licensing proceedings.
Michał also advises clients on data protection and the implementation and application of new technologies. He has been responsible for legal advisory in first-of-their-kind implementations of cloud outsourcing, including in the financial sector, and is also experienced in IT services contracting and the e-commerce sector.
Michał effectively transfers his financial sector experience to other areas. He advises entrepreneurs from various industries and sectors, including smaller ones, in building effective compliance systems based on best practice tailored to the needs of the client, drawn primarily from the banking sector – one of the most regulated sectors in the Polish economy.
Michał’s education includes law, economics, information security and internal security, allowing him to deeply understand the needs of our clients.
- Complex implementations, audits and advisory in the areas of AML IV and V, PSD 2 and payment services, the Polish FSA (KNF) Recommendations (including Recommendations H and D), and banking law
- Comprehensive audit of the largest Polish bank’s compliance with the requirements of the Polish Act on the National Cybersecurity System (implementing the NIS Directive)
- Advice and representation of financial institutions (including banks and payment institutions) in licensing proceedings before the Polish Financial Supervision Authority
- Establishing corporate governance and compliance systems in line with recommendations and regulations of the financial sector – including for non-financial entities, based on best practice as established in the financial sector
- Complex implementations of cloud outsourcing in accordance with the Polish FSA’s Recommendations on Cloud Services as well as banking law and GDPR – for the financial sector, operators of essential services and critical infrastructure
- Drafting and negotiating IT contracts both for vendors and customers
- IT disputes
Michał graduated from Faculty of Law and Administration of the University of Warsaw, as well as from the Finance and Accounting Faculty of the Warsaw School of Economics. He also completed Internal Security at the University of Warsaw.
- Warsaw Bar of Advocates
Selected publications (in Polish)
- Anti-Money Laundering and Countering the Financing of Terrorism. A practical guide, Wolters Kluwer, 2018, contributor
- (Reducing payment congestion. A practical guide, Wolters Kluwer, 2020, contributor
Columnist at fintek.pl, selected articles:
- Obtaining a fall-back exemption
- Electronic money
- General Inspector of Financial Information and Polish Financial Supervisory Authority on remote distribution channels
- Monitor prawniczy no. 20/2020, special addendum – New tech law – Cloud computing – whether application of cloud computing may support compliance with regulatory obligations within cybersecurity