Cloud Computing, Cybersecurity, Data Protection, E-commerce, IT, New Technologies, Outsourcing, Dispute Resolution (including BIT arbitration), IP
Media, Telecommunications, Unfair Competition, Business Law, Banking, Insurance, Payment Services, EU Law, Corporate, Franchise Law, Employment, M&A, Anti-Corruption, Anti-Money Laundering, White-collar Crime, Privatisation, Managing State Property, Public Procurement, Contract Law, Reputation Management, Telemedicine, Tax, Cross-Disciplinary Advice
Attorney-at-law; authority on personal data protection, IT, cybersecurity, and IP; expert of the European Commission on cloud computing contracts; consultant of the Article 29 Working Party; contributor to the GDPR; laureate of the Award of the President of the Polish Data Protection Office; author of the bestselling “Guide to the GDPR”, recommended by the President of the Polish Data Protection Authority; represented the Republic of Poland in several BIT arbitrations (valued at up to EUR 2.5bn); leading lawyer on the largest IT implementation project in CEE (ZSI PKO BP); instrumental in establishing a top ten Polish law firm.
Maciej started his career with KPMG. He left KPMG for a spin-off – independent Polish law firm M. Furtek i Wspólnicy. In 2008 Maciej established the Polish branch of international law firm Bird & Bird (predominantly known for IT & IP), which he headed until 2016. After a brief period with an IT law boutique (Maruta Wachta), Maciej established Gawronski & Partners in 2017.
Maciej’s track record includes undertaking (in 2014) work for the European Commission and the Article 29 Working Party (the predecessor of the European Data Protection Board) on international data transfers.
Maciej has been responsible for the legal aspects of hundreds of IT projects. He created a contract for the largest IT implementation in the CEE’s financial sector – ZSI PKO BP and five further extensions (2002-2010), and subsequently created a first-of-its-kind quasi-outsourcing / quasi-body leasing maintenance and development agreement for the implemented ZSI system and two extensions (2010 to 2013).
Maciej has represented the Republic of Poland in a number of BIT arbitrations valued at up to EUR 2.5bn, and has represented clients before the Court of Arbitration at the ICC in Paris, the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, the Polish Supreme Court, the Polish Supreme Administrative Court, the Polish Public Procurement Appeal Chamber, the Court of Arbitration at the Polish Chamber of Commerce, and the Polish Public Procurement Appeal Chamber, as well as before Polish common courts. He is known for taking an unorthodox, 360-degree approach to disputes, focused on deep facts review, communication, long-term planning and change of dispute dimensions.
Maciej edited and co-authored the bestselling “Guide to the GDPR” (published in 2018 in Polish and in 2019 in English) as well as the first complex study on the legal aspects of cloud computing in Poland: “Cloud Computing in the Polish Financial Sector – Regulations and Standards” (2011). He has contributed to numerous textbooks and publications on data protection, IT, outsourcing, franchise law, IP, and anti-money laundering. He has also contributed to IT systems and services assisting in data protection compliance: notably Good Data Protection Standard (gdpstandard.com), Wolters Kluwer’s LEX Compliance RODO (GDPR), and Actuality.pl.
Maciej lectures on data protection, cloud computing, information security, and business continuity at Lazarski University and Warsaw School of Economics.
Maciej’s experience also includes advising on M&A, investment ventures and other corporate transactions; regulatory matters; and disputes.
Rankings and recognition
- Chambers Europe 2012-21 – Technology, Media and Telecommunications
- Rzeczpospolita Ranking of Law Firms 2014-2019 – Technology, Media, Telecommunications, Personal Data Protection
- Best Lawyers Ranking 2013-2021 – IT and Intellectual Property
- Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers 2016 – Technology, Media & Telecommunications
- Legal 500 2006-2016 – Technology, Media & Telecommunications
- Who’s Who Legal 100 2016 – Patent Disputes in Life Sciences
- “Market sources outline his ‘operational efficiency, communication and pro-business consulting’. He is recognised for his IT knowledge and has extensive experience of handling IT matters relating to the finance sector.” – Chambers Europe, 2016
- “… extensive understanding of IT processes and related risks” – Chambers Europe, 2015
- “… excellent in IT” – Chambers Europe, 2014
- “… in a league of his own” – Legal 500, 2013
- “… clients love working with him” – Chambers Europe, 2012
- “… IT expert Maciej Gawroński ….” – Legal 500, 2009
- “… combines corporate advice with knowledge of new technologies” – Legal 500, 2006
- Warsaw Bar of Attorneys-at-law (Okręgowa Izba Radców Prawnych w Warszawie)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Working Group for Personal Data Protection at the Polish Ministry of Digital Affairs
- European Commission Cloud Computing Contracts Expert Group
- Cloud Security Alliance
- Meritum. Personal Data Protection ed. D. Lubasz, Wolters Kluwer Polska, 2022 and 2020
- Secure Electronic Communication for Attorneys-at-law Part One and Part Two, chapter editor M. Gawroński, Polish Bar of Attorneys-at-law, 2020
- Guide to the GDPR, English Edition, ed. Maciej Gawroński, Wolters Kluwer Law and Regulation, 2019
- Commentary to the Polish Personal Data Protection Act, ed. D. Lubasz, Wolters Kluwer Polska 2019
- Data Protection Documentation for Medical Entities, ed. A. Sieradzka and M. Wieczorek, C.H. Beck, 2019
- Guide to the GDPR, Polish Edition, ed. M. Gawroński, Wolters Kluwer Polska, 2018
- Guide to the Polish Personal Data Protection Act and to the GDPR ed. M. Gawroński, Wolters Kluwer Polska, 2018
- The Guide to Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism, ed. W. Kapica, Wolters Kluwer, 2018
- The Franchise Law Review, ed. M. Abell, Law Business Research Ltd, Second Edition, 2015; Third Edition, 2016
- Cloud Computing in the Polish Financial Sector General Report, English Edition, Banking Technologies Forum at the Polish Banking Association, 2013
- Cloud Computing in the Polish Financial Sector. Regulations and Standards English Edition, ed. Maciej Gawroński, Banking Technologies Forum at the Polish Banking Association, 2011